Spam in Gmail & Hotmail can be a nightmare due to some insistent spammers. Daily offers with repeating content in which you are not interesting and after a few days this process becomes highly bothering. Here is a simple trick to delete spam in Gmail or Outlook.com inbox.
The services namely Gmail or Hotmail.com do not delete spam automatically, but system filters the suspicious emails to the spam folder. However, these automatic spam filters are not perfect every time and sometimes mark legit mail as spam. On the other side, some senders send us to spam consistently but not filtered by these filters.
To capture those messages and handle such type of spam in Gmail or Hotmail we will use filtering feature. This simple trick works pretty well on each type of webmail service or desktop email client.
How to delete spam in Gmail permanently
To filter emails as spam permanently one can follow these steps. Here in the image below you can see an email in the ‘Spam Folder’ with a title of OSN. As you can see the email is in Arabic and it is not the native language of the email inbox.
- Here you can see the ⁞ icon which opens a menu when you click on it at the most right side.
- Next to the reply button.Click on the option “Filter messages like this” and a new window will appear
- Here you have to select the ‘filtering method’ here Gmail will automatically select the respective email address.
- You can also change the ‘from’ field to the title of email which is written in Arabic in this example.
- Now if the spammer changes the email address Gmail will automatically filter emails by using the title.
- However, one should keep cautious when using the title for filtering, because any legit email with that title will never reach you. Especially when you filter emails with a name say ‘Jason David’ in such case you may lose a real mail with this name.
- Now click on the ‘Create filter with this search’ and a new window will appear.
- Here select “Mark as read” and “Delete it” to permanently delete all emails from this sender.
- If any time in future you are looking to Edit this filter you can move to settings and then select Filters tab from here.
- Lastly, this is how you can edit or remove your created filters.
Delete spam in Hotmail permanently
The process is quite similar to Gmail filtering. However, the settings section differs slightly. Open your Hotmail account and follow the steps below.
- At first, we will open the respective email then click on the ‘menu icon’ from the top menu at the upper right corner.
- From the menu, you have to click on the ‘create rule’ option and then a new window will appear.
- Outlook.com will automatically detect the respective email address, to filter emails.
- You can also use the ‘Title of email’ in the respective email filter if you consider it a better option.
- To delete these emails you have to “add a condition” and select ‘Delete’ underdo the following field and then click on create a rule.
- You can also add another action, to make an email ‘Mark as read’ within the same window but it’s not mandatory.
- If anytime in future you are looking to edit or delete the Outlook.com Spam filtering rule then click on the settings icon from the upper right corner.
- Here select the option ‘Manage rules’ and from the new windows, you can edit or delete the individual rule.